Wrocław: If you have more time...
A model of Oławska Gate, Wrocław / Mieczysław Michalak/ Agencja Gazeta
It does not exist anymore. In 1807 Wroclaw fortifications were demolished at Napoleon's command. Oławska Gate was the first one to be pulled down which proved its importance. It was a large fortified building in the eastern part of the walls, on the internal line of fortification. It was built in the middle of the 13th century. In fact, there were two gates: the inner one consisted of a square plan tower and the front yard. It was demolished earlier, in 1792; the outer one from the 15th century resembled the inner one but it was later rebuilt, the front yard was enlarged, a new tower was added and a barbican was built at the turn of the 15th and 16th centuries which later was replaced by a bastion.During further alteration the gate tower got a semicircular shape with cannon posts on the top and a ravelin. But sadlt it was all demolished. The relics of the forgotten Oławska Gate were discovered during the construction of WZ Street (East-West Street) and underpasses on Dominikański Square between 1977 and 1978. Fragments of the foundation were found, however they were destroyed in major part during the construction works. What has survived, can be seen in the underpass. Outside, at the top of the stairs, there is a scale model of the Gate and its nearest fortification system.