Walk in Poznań: Market Sqaure and around
Działyński Palace, Poznań / KAROLINA SIKORSKA / AGENCJA GAZETA
It is situated in the western side of the Old Market Squate, at the exit of Franciszkańska Street. Its appearance today is the result of post-war reconstruction lasting between 1953 and 1957. The magnificent palace in Baroque and Classical style was built for Great Hetman of Lithuania at the end of the 18th century in the place of two medieval period houses. At the back of the palace there was a garden. The palace belonging first to the Działyński family, later to the Zamoyski family.
It can be entered through two gates, both once used by carriages. The façade is decorated with pilasters above which a triangular tympanum with Działyński family's coat of arms. An attic covering a mansard roof is filled with relief ornaments from the beginning of the 19th century, representing mythological scenes, and there are a panoply and a figure of a pelican. The most splendid room in the palace is Red Hall whose windows open to a wide balcony at the front façade. The palace houses Polish Academy of Sciences and a branch of Kórnik Library.