Herring with Onion in Oil
Fish dishes form the basis of the Christmas menu in Poland. Herring is prepared in hundreds of ways but there are two basic types of this dish: herring in vinegar of, as described below, herring in oil.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2-4)
- 5 soused herring fillets (herring in very salty brine)
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 allspice berries
- vegetable oil (e.g. canola oil)
- freshly grounded black pepper (optional)
- medium-sized sweet onion, finely diced
- lemon juice or vinegar to drizzle
- Soak herring in cold water, replace water three times over 1.5 hours. Taste if herring is still salty, if it is, rinse again. Cut fillets into 4-5 pieces.
- Arrange chunks of herring in a jar alternating with allspice and bay leaves. Fill with oil, add freshly ground black pepper (optional) and leave aside for 3-4 days. You may turn the jar upside down from time to time.
- Shortly before serving, chop the onion, sprinkle with salt and put aside to soften. Add onion to the herring and drizzle with lemon juice or vinegar.
You will find an original recipe in Polish HERE.